Calming Bedtime Tea DIY
I was nervous about this blend of herbs. I had an idea in my head of what I was trying to create, but was unsure if the flavours would combine well. All these herbs have strong and distinct flavours, but the result of them amalgamated into one tea is magic! The tea turns a pretty pink colour from the hibiscus. The peppermint is soothing, but not overwhelming. The lavender and chamomile add subtle floral undertones and the nettles add a nutrient punch.
About the herbs:
- A natural diuretic
- High in vitamins (C and B complex) and minerals (zinc, iron, magnesium, selenium)
- Its carminative action helps soothe the digestive tract after meals by easing gas and bloating.
- Mild nervous system sedative
- Helps ease nervousness and anxiety
- Promotes sleep and eases stress and anxiety
- Helps soothe the digestive tract as a carminative
- Rich in antioxidants
- High in vitamin C
1 cup peppermint
1 cup dried nettles
1/2 cup chamomile flowers
1/4 cup lavender
- 1/4 cup hibiscus
Combine all herbs in a big bowl and mix until well combined.
Steep 2 tsp of tea for 5 mins. Enjoy!
Note: do not leave tea leaves in water for longer than 10 minutes as the hibiscus will become very tart.
This is an excellent tea to have before bedtime due to the relaxing nature of many of these herbs.