Well it is official, Autumn is here. School is back in full swing, sweaters come out of hiding, and pumpkin scented/flavoured everything hits the shelves.
Like most people, this is definitely my favourite time of year. I am a true October baby through and through.
While there are so many things to be praised about fall, this season is not without its downfalls.
- The days get shorter and the afternoon slump begins to set in earlier
- Colds and sniffles ripple through offices, schools and public transit
- Midterms and school work pile up leading to that ugly thing called s-t-r-e-s-s
- Cravings for sweet warm seasonal drinks are undeniable
But don't fret!! I have a solution for all of these things.
The answer is hot chocolate.
Yup. Hot chocolate.
BUT, this is not just any hot chocolate. This is an immune boosting, stress-resistant, creamy delicious cup of amazingness.
Strengthening Chaga Hot Chocolate
Chaga medicinal mushrooms are at the top of my list of favourite plants. I wrote up a whole post about their health benefits here . In short, they contain compounds called beta-D-glucans which act as an immune modulator (immune support!) and an adaptogen (help your body become more resilient to the effects of stress). Yay!
I blend this hot chocolate with grass-fed (MUST BE GRASS-FED) butter. Yes, you read that right, butter. Not only does it make the hot chocolate nice and creamy, but it also adds many health benefits.
- Vitamins A,D,E,K - including vitamin K2 which helps prevent against atherosclerosis
- It provides more omega-3's than its non-grass fed counterpart
- Contains a short-chain fatty acid called butyrate - shown in humans to reduce inflammation
- Contains CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) - shown to be anti-cancer and helps lower body fat
This infographic below from Bulletproof says it all!
- 1 TBSP grass-fed butter
- 1 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 2 TBSP organic cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups of brewed chaga tea (2 TBSP dried chaga in water simmered over low heat for 1-2 hours, then strain off the tea)
- pinch of sea salt or pink himalayan salt
Blend all ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds and enjoy
It is seriously the B-O-M-B
For a spicy twist, this would also be delicious with strongly steeped chai tea in place of the chaga.
Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!!